Deliveroo’s Guide on Staying Safe During COVID-19
At Deliveroo we take the safety of our riders, restaurants and customers extremely seriously, in particular at this time when reports of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) are increasing.We know that you will want to make sure you stay safe during this period, as well as help protect the health of restaurant partners and customers. Below are a set of small but important steps you can take to help achieve this. We will keep this, and you, updated as the situation progresses.
World Health Organisation Guidance
The World Health Organisation (WHO) recommends that the following general cold and flu precautions are taken to help prevent people from catching and spreading COVID-19:
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
- Put used tissues in the bin straight away
- Wash your hands with soap and water often – use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available.
- Try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
- Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean
Further guidance is available online here.
Staying Safe while working with Deliveroo
- Make sure to regularly wash your Deliveroo kit or clothes you wear while riding.
- Wipe down your thermal bag before and after each time you ride.
- Wash your hands with soap and water thoroughly before you go online, and carry a bottle of hand sanitiser with you so you can keep them clean throughout your time on the road.
- Always store food in your thermal bag to help minimise the risk exposure to any potentially infectious airborne material.
- Seal your bag as soon as you’ve packed an order and keep it closed until you’ve reached the customer’s location.
- Regularly check the World Health Organisation website to keep up to date on the advice that they provide.
- Do not log in if you begin to feel unwell or display any symptoms of COVID-19. Seek medical attention straight away and avoid close contact with others.
- Immediately notify us if you have tested positive for COVID-19. We will need to contact any restaurant partners and customers who may you may have come into contact with during that period, so we can check whether they are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19.
Working with Restaurant Partners
We have also shared guidance with our restaurant partners to help ensure their premises and employees stay as clean and safe as possible. With this in mind, we have advised them to:
- Minimise the number of people who are exposed to food by considering the area in which they have riders wait to collect food. We’ve asked that the area where riders wait is kept clean and separate from the area where food is being prepared.
- Ensure all packaging and bags are properly sealed using tape or staples before it’s handed over to a rider. This is to prevent potentially infectious airborne material from coming in contact with the food during delivery. We have also encouraged restaurant partners to double bag delivery orders so that food is kept safe inside before it is handed to the customer.
If you have any concerns or questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our dedicated Rider Support team through the rider website or your app.